
Today Derek and I ran our last long run before our marathon next Sunday. I was reminded yet again of God's protection and provision as we were out running this morning. We were running and feeling great, and as we ran down this one residential street, a chocolate lab out on his front lawn came charging at us at full steam. I thought for sure he was going to attack us, because he was running at full charge and was barking like crazy. I jumped up onto Derek and he pushed me off and said something like hold still or don't move, and the dog was looking at us and barking so loudly. I was bracing for the pain in my legs as I thought he was going to attack, and in those five seconds I was replaying what would happen and wondering how we would get the dog off of us and how this would all turn out, and if we would both be mauled after this was over. Then the most amazing thing happened. All of a sudden, as the dog looked both of us in the face, it cowered and began to wimper and ran off to its home just like that! It was like it saw something that scared it away from us, but I know it wasn't us because we were both terrified. I'm not sure what scared it off, whether it had an electric collar that went off and it finally registered to the dog that it was being shocked. But the immediate thought that came to my mind was that God was right there with us and the dog saw Him or something supernaturally sent by Him that told that dog to stay away from us because we are protected possessions of God. It reminded me of how Satan and his minions prowl around seeking to devour us like a lion seeks to devour its prey, and I felt safe because I know that God will protect me from Satan and any scheme he may have to hurt me as long as I stay under God's wing of shelter by drawing near to Him and remaining close to Him. I am so glad that I have this hope in God and His protection and plan for my life. I know He won't always protect me from physical harm, but I know that whatever He allows is for my gain and growth and will develop me to be more like Him, and is part of His plan for me. Today, God did not want that dog to hurt me because that was not a part of His plan for me. I am so glad to have a loving Father Who guides and cares about every detail of my life and has a plan for me.